Saturday, January 16, 2010

#28 Hollywood Billiards

#30 Hollywood Walk of Fame
#29 Yamashiro

#28 Hollywood Billiards

Hollywood Billiards was the first bar I ever went to in Hollywood. I was there three-and-a-half years ago to watch a Cavs game when I still lived in Long Beach. It's just a great bar. Tons of really nice pool tables. An arcade. Pretty good bar food. TVs in every corner to watch whatever Cleveland Sports tragedy you choose. A pop-a-shot machine. It's just got it all. Let me address each of the above things separately really quick.

The pool tables are abundant and large; maybe a but too large. But their pool happy hour is fantastic, something like 4 bucks an hour for the table. There are really pote players all around, and it sparked a conversation about the bench on the corner of Hollywood and LaBrea that reads "Straight Pool: Jack defeats Ron 100-64." What the fuck is that? Did Ron lose a bet and need to buy the bench ad to shamefully display his pool ineptitudes to the masses? I don't get it.

The patio in the front is fucking awesome. The arcade is small, but contains Mars Attacks pinball; only the best pinball game in the world. Again, the happy hour is so good, that after a few incredibly cheap drinks, Mars Attacks pinball is just about the best thing in the world. Tack this onto the pretty dope bar food and you have a great 5 o'clock hour to drinky. Also let the record show that HB has a pop-a-shot machine, one of many in the City of Angels with my work branded as a high score.

Hollywood Billiards also will be the answer to a future Matt Glassman trivia question: "Where was Matt the last time he watched a crucial Cleveland sports playoff game outside of his own home?" In mid-October 2007 the Cleveland Indians lost to the Boston Red Sox in game 7 of the ALCS. I was at Hollywood Billiards. Never, EVER, again, will that happen. Every single Cavs playoff game has been seen from the friendly confines of my living room since, and will continue too. I woke up the morning after that game an absolute wreck, so much so that I broke up with my girlfriend before noon. However, I never broke up with Hollywood Billiards.

Also, shoutout to the Cuban Bakery, Café Tropical, owned by the same people over in Silver Lake.

No comments: